The essential element is a shuttle to transport the crew during the various stages of the travel. In this project, the crew of 6 astronauts takes their seats in the multi-purpose manned vehicle (MMV) for each transfer. The MMV is made up of 3 sub-parts:
– The inhabited compartment sized for 6 astronauts in comfort optimized for a week (several months in a crisis).
– The propulsion block, with tanks for 8 tons of hydrolox plus 500 kg of hydrogen recovery intended to inflate lift balloons. The propulsion is made up of two small-diameter engines.
– The recovery system is consisting of a ventral heat shield inspired by the re-entry demonstrator European atmospheric IVX, for a re-entry from a hyperbolic (if necessary with successive air-bratings) and a system of hydrogen lift recovery sized for earth return or Venusian.
|Computer Com, Nav||250|
|ECLS (including closed-circuit water)||200|
|Freight (including food for a week)||100|
|Structure Tanks||1 150|
|Empty mass||5 000|
|Delta-V (m/s)||4 166|
 data from these engines are taken from HM7B.
With a Delta-V 4.17 km/s, the MMV can be mounted on a first stage to place itself on its own. in a low Earth orbit. It can also reach a lunar orbit and return, if it is placed with full in a medium orbit, or be used for a launch to Venus as presented here.
A MMV can be launched to Venus in three different ways:
– With the Venusian launch system .
– With only a first stage, the MMV serves as the second stage to be placed in low Earth orbit, be refuelled and then head for Venus. This method involving a transfer of propellants into orbit will not be developed here.
– In payload with ergols, scenario developed below. In this case, the MMV and a cargo module are placed in orbit by an Ariane 6 qualified for flight Lived.
For the calculations, we consider that a contribution of 9300 m/s is needed to place a payload in low orbit. To reach Venus, we add 3700 m/s for a total delta-V of 13,000 m/s.
Both versions of Ariane 6 can be used according to the desired mass for the Cargo.
|Ariane 6.4||M stage (t)||Initial M (t)||M ergols (t)||Isp (Ns/kg)||Delta-V (m/s)|
|MMV||13,0||18,15||8,00||4 355,64||2 531,48|
|2nd stage||28,6||46,75||24,28||4 560,00||3 340,81|
|1st stage||191,0||237,75||171,90||3 551,00||4 558,92|
|4 boosters||520,0||757,75||481,72||2 550,00||2 575,10|
|Delta-V total||13 006,31|
|Ariane 6.2||M stage (t)||Initial M (t)||M ergols (t)||Isp (Ns/kg)||Delta-V (m/s)|
|MMV||13,0||15,85||8,00||4 355,64||3 060,52|
|2nd stage||28,6||44,45||24,28||4 560,00||3 603,17|
|1st stage||191,0||235,45||171,90||3 551,00||4 650,64|
|2 boosters||260,0||495,45||240,86||2 550,00||1 697,82|
|Delta-V total||13 012,15|